Thursday, July 28, 2011

You've Got to Pick Your Battles

I have a sixteen year old daughter. She's going into her senior year of high school. I have completely mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, she was my only child for FOREVER. So, I already know that I'm gonna miss her terribly. I mean, I refer to her as my "left hand" (as I'm a right handed person). So, I will miss her, like I would miss my left hand. But on the other hand, at about age 16/17, your teenager really starts getting on your nerves, so you kinda want them to go (smile).

My daughter and I get it in. We fight, and disagree, and ignore one another.  But I've learnd to pick and choose my battles. Like, the fact that I want her to take the ACT for a 2nd time, but she's on the fence. Or the fact that I want her to apply to at least seven different colleges and she has maybe, three on her list. But the situation that brought things to a head between us, was the fact that she didn't want to take her senior pictures.

For weeks we went back and forth with her pulling and me pushing. She insisted that she "hates" taking pictures, because they never come out cute. And me insisting that I wasn't gonna let her senior year pass without getting at least one picture of her in a cap and gown (as she attends an all girl high school, that dresses their graduates up as "miniature brides" in all white for the commencement exercises).  Anyway, after hour 99, I grew tired of fighting. I threw up my hands and told her that if she was cool with putting her future husband's senior picture on their future mantle, and not have one of her own to place there, that was her business. I guess those were the magic words. She finally conceded and took the pictures.

I'm happy to say...they came out beautifully!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment